Saturday, March 26, 2011

Pils-German Pilsner



The painting above is from Max Libermann , a German Impressionist Painter, 1847-1935. The painting is of “Biergarten in Brannenburg”. To me the image evokes warm weather, and the cooling shade of trees as you sip on a crisp and refreshing beer. I can just imaging the people in the painting enjoying glass after glass of a pilsner. It was the inspiration for my pils. I hope to have this beer on tap at the height of the summers heat, as I sit in the shade of my back yard.

I have been on a real pilsner kick lately, even though the weather hasn't been the traditionally warm San Diego spring. In the past two-three months any time I am out and I see a true pilsner on tap, I order one. For some reason they have just been calling to me. I have not brewed that many lagers (4), and most of the attempts have been sub-par at best. I believe my biggest mistake has been the lack of attenuation due to pitching too little yeast. After doing some research this fall when my Octoberfest failed I have found many homebrewers use dry yeast as an alternative to starters made with liquid yeast. I will be testing this out on this batch using Saflager S-23. My luck with dry ale yeast has been great so I hope for the same success with dry lager yeast.

Recipe: German Pilsner Malt, Germna Munich Malt, and US Carapils. Saflager S-23, German Hallartauer at 60 and at 1 minute additions.

1 comment:

  1. Would love to know how this turned out. I haven't brewed a lager yet and was hoping to do a pilsner using s-23. I've heard it's not a great yeast and would like to know what you thought.

    ReplyDelete