Saturday, September 18, 2010

Fest Beer



I am listening to the Results of the GABF live on the Brewing Network and brewing a Fest Beer. I got into lagers last spring and have fallen in love. I wasn't always a huge fan of them but when I started making them I realized the subtle complexity of these styles and have been brewing lagers and ales at about a 1-for-1 since. I wanted to brew this style for a long time, and I want to build up a yeast cake for a Bock beer later this fall. I will be adding two types of oak to the bock, more on this later. As I was mashing the Munich malt aroma was insanely good and rich. I also used a hop bag for this batch something I haven't done in the past, well see how my hop extraction turns out.

Here is the recipe:


Fermentables
IngredientAmount%MCUWhen
German Pilsner Malt5.00 lb47.6 %1.2In Mash/Steeped
US Munich 20L Malt4.00 lb38.1 %15.1In Mash/Steeped
German Dark Munich Malt1.50 lb14.3 %2.6In Mash/Steeped


Hops
VarietyAlphaAmountIBUFormWhen
German Hallertauer Hersbrucker3.5 %1.50 oz19.4Loose Pellet Hops60 Min From End
German Hallertauer Hersbrucker3.5 %0.50 oz3.9Loose Pellet Hops20 Min From End



Yeast
White Labs WLP833-German Bock Lager


I mashed in at 151F. I also made a 1.5 liter starter.

No comments:

Post a Comment