Thursday, August 12, 2010

Wit Beer Tasting



I brewed a wit back in June for a work party. It was 5 of 10 gallons of beer, and so not all of it was drunk. At the time it tasted kind of sulphury. It wasn't terrible but it seemed to cover up some of the subtle nuances of the style, mainly the citrus and corriandar. When I got back from my honeymoon I decided to pull a glass off the tap and see how it was tasting, and since I didn't get a chance to do a formal tasting, I've done it here.

Appearance: Great yellow color, with great cloudiness and a huge lasting pillowy white head!

Aroma: light citrus and spice (corriandar) right away, followed by some characteristics Belgian phenolics. Very nice, but a little too light on the aroma. This may be from a long aging period or too few spices, I didn't want to overdo it.

Taste: The taste is light and refreshing. Wheat, slight tartness, citrus zest and a light lingering spice in the finish.

Drinakibility/Overall: This beer is very good now, the cold conditioning in the keg did this beer well. It is nice and light with a nice fruity, spicy tartness that makes it very refreshing for a warm summer day. I think next time I may up the spice/zest levels just a tad. Very good and easy to drink!


No comments:

Post a Comment