Friday, August 13, 2010

Westerly Weizen- Bavarian Hefe






This is one of my oldest recipes. I brewed this beer for the first time 4 years ago (from DME), and have brewed it every year since. It earned a 2nd place at the 2007 San Diego County Fair, which was my first homebrew contest. The next year it scored really well but didn't finish bottle conditioning so it did not place. This beer is a crowd favorite and is good in summer or at an Oktoberfest party. I keep the recipe simple and shoot for a Bavarian Hefe that leans towards a more banana flavor/aroma profile over a more clove heavy one.

Here is the Recipe: Westerlies Weizen

4.5# White Wheat
4.5#German Pilsner
0.5# Light Munich
Batched Sparged (nothing fancy)

Hellatauer Hersbrucker 3.5%AA 0.80oz @60 minutes

White Labs WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale

OG= 1.052
Expected FG = 1.013
Expected ABV= 5.1%

As I mentioned the first few batches were brewed using 100% Wheat DME and had great results. I added half at the start of the boil and the other half at the end to keep the color light.

I pitched a good sized starter and saw small signs of fermentation within 4 hours, by morning the airlock had shot off and the beer is still cranking away. I usually brew this in June because the ambient temps are perfect, but since this has been the coolest July and August in 100 years in San Diego, and the weather is essentially June-like. I decided to go for it. Ambient temps are 68-70F.

Next Up: Table Saison and Indochina Saison, possibly a wet hop beer using a local strain of hops called Julian Gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment