Wednesday, February 17, 2010

One Hell of a Brew Day Part 2: The Recipies





I brewed a Schwartzbier and a San Diego style IPA. For the Schwartzbier I went for middle ground for the style, it lies between a traditional German style and a more roasty American style. I was going to use some roasted barley but at the last minute I decided against it and just upped the amount of Carafa II. This is only my second attempt at a Lager

4C-Dark Lager-Schwarzbier

Selected Style and BJCP Guidelines

Recipe Overview

Volume At Pitching: 5.28 US gals

Expected OG: 1.049 SG

Expected FG: 1.011 SG

Expected ABV: 5.0 %

Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 27.9 IBU

Fermentation Temperature: 55 degF

Fermentables

US 2-Row Malt 4.50 lb

Dark Munich 30L Malt 4.00 lb

German Carafa II 0.50 lb

US Chocolate Malt 0.25 lb

US Caramel 40L Malt 0.25 lb

Hops

German Hallertauer Hersbrucker 3.5 % 1.75 oz 23.6 Loose Pellet Hops 60 Min From End

German Hallertauer Hersbrucker 3.5 % 0.50 oz 4.1 Loose Pellet Hops 20 Min From End

German Hallertauer Hersbrucker 3.5 % 0.50 oz 0.3 Loose Pellet Hops 1 Min From End

Yeast

White Labs WLP830-German Lager


Visible signs of fermentation after 12 hours, large Krausen forming after 24 hours.



For my IPA I wanted to make something that was typical San Diego IPA (or at least attempt it). I went with a beer close to Alpine's Duet. It is a Golden colored, dry, balanced bitterness, and huge hop flavor and aroma. I went with a simple malt bill and a "duet" of Amarillo and Simcoe hops. I plan on dry hopping this beer with whole leaf Amarillo and Simcoe. I am debating throwing in some un-toasted american oak chips with the dry hops.


"Edgemont IPA"


14B-India Pale Ale(IPA)-American IPA

Recipe Overview

Volume At Pitching: 5.28 US gals

Expected OG: 1.072 SG

Expected FG: 1.016 SG

Expected ABV: 7.5 %

Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 70.7 IBU

Fermentation Temperature:

66 degF

Fermentables

US 2-Row Malt 11.00 lb

US Caramel 20L Malt 1.50 lb

US Carapils Malt 1.50 lb

Corn Sugar 8.0 oz

Hops

US Amarillo 8.6 % 0.50 oz 13.8 Loose Pellet Hops 60 Min From End

US Simcoe 12.2 % 0.35 oz 13.7 Loose Pellet Hops 60 Min From End

US Amarillo 8.6 % 1.00 oz 16.7 Loose Pellet Hops 20 Min From End

US Simcoe 12.2 % 1.00 oz 23.7 Loose Pellet Hops 20 Min From End

US Simcoe 12.2 % 1.00 oz 1.7 Loose Pellet Hops 1 Min From End

US Amarillo 8.6 % 1.00 oz 1.2 Loose Pellet Hops 1 Min From End

US Amarillo Dry Hop

US Simcoe Dry Hop


White Labs WLP001-California Ale


Strong fermentation after 12 hours, great hop aroma coming from the airlock.

1 comment:

  1. Looks delicious man.

    I decided to try a lager for the first time as well. Like I said in my last comment to you, I boiled over my wort which I think is attributing to the low OG and I also think I caramelized to many sugars because my "Pilsner" is petty muddy looking. I understand that by doing an extract things are generally just going to be darker, but its dark.

    You can see what it looks like over on my Homebrewing Blog

    I'm racking it to the second fermenter today. You'll have to keep us updated as to how your lager turns out.

    Cheers dude!

    Mike
    Mike's Brew Review

    ReplyDelete